Monday, April 7, 2008

Job Interview

Last night I saw a hiring sign on 7-11, so I walked in and wanted to speak to the manager.

I have been looking for a full time job, and I have attended few interviews so far. Right now I am still awaiting for the news, but I need the money. I need the money seriously. So I have been looking for part-time as well.

A young Malay guy came out from the back. He looked not a day older than 28, and he identified himself as the Store Manager.

I explained to him that I saw the sign that the store was hiring, so I wanted the interview. He scoffed, went into his office, took out an application form and asked me to fill it up. I spent the few minutes filling up the particulars, and when I was done, I walked to the back of the store to pass him my application form.

After reading my application form for few minutes, he looked up and asked, "How old are you?"

I replied as politely as possible, "I am 30 years old."

He mumbled to himself very softly, "Wow. Older than me..."

I pretended that I didn't hear what he said. After awhile, we will all get used to it, and I don't blush that often nowadays.

"Hmm.. can you please tell me about your education background?" He asked, in a broken English manner.

"Sure," and I explained to him.

"Hahaha! Hmm.. you know, you have Master's Degree. This is only part-time job," he laughed.

I looked straight into his eyes, and I said, "Yes, I know. But right now I am jobless so I just want to get some income."

"Hahaha! Sorry! Your salary is too high and we cannot afford to hire Degree holder!" He laughed louder.

"It's okay sir. I know the pay is not high, but I really need this job," I pledged with him.

He thought for a while, scratched his head, and asked, "Do you know how to use the cash register machine?"

"Nope sir, but I am a quick learner," I replied quickly. He is much younger than me, but out of courtesy, I called him "sir", and I really needed that job.

"Actually, I won't hire you," he blinked at me.

"But I am really a quick learner and I am very sure that I can handle the cash register machine in no time," I begged.

"No. You have Master's Degree. Go look for a job that needs Master's Degree. We can only hire SPM holders only."

"But..."

"Bye!" And by that, he turned his back on me and walked back to the office.

At that point, I almost wanted to punch the shit out of him. He laughed at me, insulted me, and at the end didn't want to give me the part-time-freaking-job. Or at least listen to me instead of cutting me off when I was about to speak.

I was pissed! But could I have done at that moment? He had already judged me even before speaking to me, so there is no way I could turn things around.

I turned, opened the door while the chimney rang, and walked off without even turning my head.

11 comments:

 gmirage said...

I bet you'll find a better one.

To monetize your blog sign up with www.shoppingads.com, www.shareasale.com. You can start with those two for the meantime. =)

FlikKy said...

hi there.. i stumbled across your blog as i was blog-surfing.. and i noticed that u were looking for a job.. i don't know if you are interested or not.. but my workplace has a few vacancies available immediately if you are interested. do let me know.

haan said...

next time adjust your educational background according to the type of job u apply, if u do not care the amount of money, but just want some money. it works!

after u get better, just leave. no harm at all.

ColourfulWorld said...

Don't give up. Channel your hatred into the desire to succeed. The day will come for that fella to be sorry!

Anonymous said...

Hey man, I am Haan's friend. I sincerely touched by your experience. I know it's hard time for you now. And I can't even believe that you can sleep in your car for so many days. I know how it feels actually, as I've experienced sleeping in my car before. But just one night, already enough to torture me till the morning rise.. The other similar experience is: After i graduated from college, life was so hard that i couldn't find a job as designer. I was really desperate, and then I made up my mind to be a waiter at one restaurant in Mid valley. I felt ashamed in the very beginning, as i was afraid that i might encounter my friends. But soon when i overcome the fear, that working experience had become something 'meaningful' in my life. As for you also, hard time won't last long. I believe that you will be exactly as what you said, 'pheonix rises from the ash' very soon.

"I get knocked down
But I get up again
Youre never going to
Keep me down!" ~~Chumbawamba

p/s: do write to me if you need help (mia_hee@yahoo.com). I stay at seapark, pj. Take care! :)

Anonymous said...

I admire and respect your tolerance :) If it had been me I would have told him off not to mention boycotted the particular 7/11 and asked my friends to do the same. However I am not in Malaysia and when I read stuff like these it makes me glad that I am not. 2 years 8 months of prejudice was enough for a life time.

Më| §zë said...

all the best to you adrian...

Nikkiko said...

what a freaking mean and rude individual that store manager is ._.

at least now you know you don't need to endure that kind of shit since he so evily pushed you away.

ah... this world has all sorts of people -_- all sortsssss...

Homeless said...

mirage2g - Thank you, and I hope to find a better one as well. I certainly don't want to work for someone like that.

flikky - Thank you, but I am working on something now, and hopefully it will become a reality soon.

haan - Thanks for the tips. I didn't think of that, and I should certainly try it. But right now I am working on something, and to protect the privacy, I will only reveal it when the time is right!

colourfulworld - Its difficult to believe, but I have no hatred towards anyone. I had seen so much lately that I come to realization that they are just who they are, and we cannot hate someone because they are being who they are. What we can choose to do is ignore them and move forward.

mia - When a person has no choice but to sleep in the car, no matter how uncomfortable that is, we still have to continue doing so. And you have a great eye. I was feeling ashame to work as waiter or something because of all the educational background and upbringing in moderately wealthy family. But I came to realization that shame will not feed me, so I put down my ego and started to look for waiter job as well.

ayesha - I choose not to feel a thing towards his ignorance. Yes, I was mad on the spur of the moment, but I forgive him. His ignorance will bring him no where. I am not saying that I will be someone in the years to come, but at least I have a better chance than him for not being as ignorant as he is.

melsze - Thank you.

nikkiko - True. There are many kind of people surrounding us. Some are good, some are evil, and some are great. I guess we just have to be very careful on who we choose to be associated with.

haan said...

"His ignorance will bring him no where."

This is exactly true. And don't let yourself become the same as him.

Honestly, I know quite some recruitment agents, who might be of help to you. If you need help to get a job that suits your profession, do not hesitate to contact me. My email is wenghaan@gmail.com.

senn said...

u got the job already?