Tuesday, April 15, 2008

The mistakes that we can make in a relationship...

As promised, I am here to follow up to list down the mistakes that both of us had done during our relationship.

Our first mistake was rushing in.

Believe it or not, after just a few months knowing and starting the relationship, we moved in together. Now I realized the mistake because we should have at least spent more time to know each other more before we take the next step. But we didn't. What we did was we rushed in, moved in, and then, started a life while still trying to know each other more.

Of course, another drawback is that once you are comfortable with the kind of life, or rather, get used to having someone at home waiting for you, and if things just don't work out the way you wanted, then you will be like me, moving out and struggling to start a new life.

The reason why I call myself homeless is because I don't have a home. A home is not a house. A home is where when you feel tired, upon entering you will feel comfortable. You feel safe. Even when you are drunk, you still can drive all the way back without missing a turn. That's home, and a home is where the heart is. For me, I am homeless is because I don't have a home. My childhood home is infested with those whom I hate. My recent home was the home I built with her. But now, I am completely homeless, and sleeping in my car.

But as I had mentioned before, Adrian and I are working on something. I will reveal more in due time.

The second mistake is we take each other for granted. But to be honest, she didn't take things for granted as much as I did. After being together for years, sometimes I forget to pamper her, to praise her, to take care of her. I mean, I still do love her madly and I still miss her like crazy, but sometimes after work, I just didn't have the energy to pamper her, or say beautiful words when she has done something for me. Besides, both of us were working so most of the time I would be busy with work and she has to take care of herself. I mean, there's nothing wrong with that, but women likes to be pampered and taken care of once in a while.

In another words, we were living like a long time married couple, which in fact we were not married. So that's really unhealthy for a relationship.

The third mistake, which is the deadliest of all, was the lack of communication.

Now when I think back, I realized that the signs were all along there, weeks, if not months, prior to the break up. But I didn't see it back then. And the worst thing was, I assumed that things were OK.

We did not communicate. She didn't feel happy about things, but she didn't talk to me about it. On later part, she said that she had given me many chances, but the problem is, she didn't tell me, she didn't talk to me, she didn't communicate with me, so I had the false impression that everything was fine, but the fact was otherwise. For my part, I ceased to ask "Is everything okay?" to start a communication channel with her. For my part, I didn't tell her about the failed investment. The truth is that up until now, she has no idea how much I have lost in investment, and she has no idea that I have been living in my car for months.

But now I think about it, choosing not to tell her was in fact one of the wisest choice I had made during these years. What if she knows? Well, will she take pity in me and not breaking up with me, but the feeling towards me had gone forever? I certainly don't want that, and I don't want anyone, and I do mean anyone, to pity me. So what if I told her that I am living in my car? Does it make a difference now that we had broke up? Or do I want her to pity me and take me back while she has feelings towards someone else, like the guy driving the BMW? I certainly don't want that.

She moved on, and she is happy. For me, that's what I wanted to see. I don't want to see her cry. I don't want to see her sad. I don't want to see her in sorrow. I saw her being so happy with that man, and feeling sad I am, but on the other hand, I feel happy for her.

I hope you won't repeat my mistakes in relationship. I have failed not in life, in investment, but in love life as well. So take my lesson, buy a flower with a card, and give it to him/her, and don't forget to tell him/her that you love him/her, and pamper him/her, ask him/her if everything is okay.

If not, you will end up like me. I want to pamper her, but she is no longer mine to be pampered by me.

Don't let go a good relationship, because when it's gone, it is gone forever.

6 comments:

ColourfulWorld said...

Well, it's weird that before we go into a relationship, we know the dos and don'ts but when we are in the middle of it, sometimes we forget even the basics.

You reminded of my mistake, which to you is the deadliest of all. I have to admit, things could really accumulate when you overlook the potential pitfalls.

You are a good teacher...

haan said...

realization is better late than never.

Shaun L said...

Hope everything is going well :)

Homeless said...

Dear colourfulworld,
I am glad that the lessons that I learned meant something to you and I am glad that you find it useful.

Dear Haan,
You are right, but sometimes it is so late until it is too late, after being hurt so deeply and madly.

Dear "Catalyst,
Everything is going well at the moment. I might make an announcement tomorrow morning on the latest development. Thanks for your wishes.

curryegg said...

I understand your feeling.. it's like when it's over.. it'll go forever.
Thank for sharing this.. and I believe, when a relationship ends, no one should be blamed.

When we love a person, we want the best for him/her.

Thank for sharing.. :)

Anonymous said...

learn from the mistake..