Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Let the Journey Begins - Part 2

After the 3rd day that I was sound asleep for the first time, I managed to rethink my strategies. There is no way that I can stay at one place for more than one day because people would get suspicious, especially when the safety is not so well. But I also realized that I cannot go to those remote area, or very dark area because I could get mugged easily.


So my formula is easy. I will identify a few locations, and rotate these locations every night, and I would not park on the same street more than once per week. That way I can avoid the prying eyes of the neighborhood and prevent those nosy people from calling the police.

But I needed a job. So every daytime, I would drive and stop near Starbucks to use their free WiFi. Sometimes when my laptop ran out of battery, I would just walk into Starbucks, plugged in the power socket and started recharging. Sometimes when I was lucky, the staff were friendly to me. But few times, they asked me to leave since I didn't order any drinks. Most of the time it wasn't that I didn't want to order, but I had no money.

Sometimes at night, if I were lucky, I could find a house that didn't put any password for the WiFi connection, and I would spend the night checking mails and all that. I would make a mental note on the location because I might have to use the internet at night once in a while and then I would know where to go.

I spent the next few weeks on my credit cards, especially when I needed to refill the petrol for my car. Sometimes I would stand at the petrol pump and offered to pump the petrol for people in return for cash. Funny thing is, those whom drive normal cars (translation: inexpensive cars) will not even bother to look at me. Surprisingly, those whom drive expensive cars like BMW, Mercedes, etc will listen to me, and pay me to refill their tank full. It's good though, because what I did was that I only get half of the total price for the full tank, and those cars got bigger fuel tank.

Anyway, if you decide to do this, here are a few things that you should remember. Look for expensive cars. These people can be rich because they are good in math, and they are calculative. Secondly, don't target the women. They will run to the petrol station staff for protection because they aren't sure if you will cause them physical harm. Third thing is, don't linger too long or else the staff will definitely chase you off and recognize you. Maximum dwell time is 5 minutes, and if you can't get anything, drive off to try your luck somewhere else.

A lot of times these people were skeptical and reported me to the staff. As a result, most of the time the staff would ask-me-to-leave-or-else-would-call-the-police. I was once being roughed up by the petrol station attendance. Sometimes I didn't get a thing.

Very soon, after doing this in exchange for cash, my credit cards were maxed out.

But I didn't have money to pay them back, and very soon, the banks froze my bank account along with the credit cards, and they started calling me to chase for payments, and a lot of times, they passed my case to those debt collectors.

And then, not long after that, my mobile line was suspended due to "2 months overdue payment not received". Luckily I was able to receive phone calls when it was suspended, but I couldn't call out.

But I hung on to the phone line. In my resume that I sent out, I left the address column blank because I had no idea which address I should use, and I definitely cannot use the petrol station or the street as my address, so the only means of communication is either by phone or email. I thought of a good reason for not including my corresponding address and the reason was simple; I didn't want to reveal where I am staying until I got the interview because for privacy reason. I was hoping that they will buy it.

Anyway, I continued to go to shopping mall or some public toilet to clean up myself. Sometimes when it was late and quiet, I would take the hand liquid soap to wash my hair, my face, and shower inside the toilet. But my finding was that if I were to go to these public toilet early in the morning, like 6am, I could have the whole toilet to myself so that I could slowly shave, wash my hair, face and shower.

It wasn't pretty, but I have skin problems that when the environment is too dirty, I will get skin reaction.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey there. I came to your blog through Adrian's site...
You seemed to be in a bad situation. Do you need any help?
(Perhaps I could I could spread the word around. Then perhaps there is a slight chance that something good could come out of it..)
Just drop me a msg if you do. I'll see what I can do.

Anonymous said...

Hi found your blog through Adrian's. I am sorry to hear about what is happening to you. I still feel you should get in touch with friends because if someday you related this to them they would feel bad as they were not able to help you during your time of need. I will remember you in my prayers.

haan said...

Hi, i'd suggest you to settle things step-by-step, starting from the small ones. first, get a temp place to stay, then a job.

else u will only get into a really bad situation at last. set small targets and accomplish one by one. regarding jobs, what's your profession? perhaps i can try to help... leave me a message at my blog if you need help...

Homeless said...

3point8: Thank you. I will really appreciate it if you can link me so that more people can read my stories and learn from the lessons that I am going through.

ayesha: You are absolutely right. I am a bit anti-social after going through so many things. I feel embarrassed. I feel inadequate. I feel useless. But I must take the first step to approach those friends of me. Again, thank you.

haan: I am taking things one step at a time. In fact, I had just received an email from Adrian. He is looking for a place for me.

Let me just say that I had been through bad times before, and I made it big. I am sure I can make it again. I am grateful for all the help that people are showing towards me, and I am touched beyond words. But I am trying to regain my life, by myself, as that is giving me a purpose to continue my fight against the situation.

Trust me, if I do need help, I am sure I will leave all of you a message.

Again, thank you, 3point8, ayesha, and haan. You are strangers to me, but you showed me that there are people that care.

Anonymous said...

If you need any help, let me know. I can help to spread the word around as well.

Take care!

joshuaongys said...

hi, hope that you can go through this whole period and solve your problems.. you can do it! i shall post about you in my blog then.. take care and God Bless

Anonymous said...

dude, seriously if you need help, i'll try my best to help u.. take care

Homeless said...

samyeap - Thank you.

joshua - Thank you.

joe - Thank you.

Beside thank you, I really don't know what else to say. I will blog about this when I have the time.

 gmirage said...

Hi there! Like the others I was lead here from Adrian's...I'd spread the word out in my blog to help you too.

I admire your courage. Just hang on...you know the cliche, after the rain comes the sun.